Spoiler: it’s hemp seeds. Don’t you just hate having to read through a you read through a bunch of long winded junk to get to the good stuff? Me too. So there you have it! HEMP SEEDS, also called hemp hearts, are the super food in this power protein granola. Rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and minerals like potassium and magnesium, hemp seeds are a super star ingredient for this nutrient rich recipe. Want to know more about the benefits of hemp seeds? Check out this article for the full scoop. My favorite few take away points from the experts at Authority Nutrition:
- Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a great protein source and contain high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
- Hemp seeds are a great source of arginine and gamma-linolenic acid, which have been linked with a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats. They have a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, which may benefit skin diseases. In some cases, this may provide relief from eczema and its uncomfortable symptoms.
- About 25% of the calories in hemp seeds come from protein. Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids, making them a complete protein source.
- Hemp seeds may reduce symptoms associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and may also positively affect symptoms of menopause.
- Whole hemp seeds contain high amounts of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which benefits digestive health. De-hulled hemp seeds have had the fiber-rich shell removed, and therefore contain very little fiber.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! A few notes- this can be made into crumbles or pressed into bars. If you like more of a crunch, pop it back in the oven to toast after you’ve mixed the liquid into the oat mixture. I suggest pairing this with protein rich 2% plain Greek yogurt to get a little more protein into the balance. Delish!
Omega-3 Rich Power Protein Granola
This omega-3 rich Power Protein Granola gets it’s oomph from hemp seeds, which are rich in fatty acids, protein, and minerals.
- 1 lb rolled oats
- 7 oz pepitas
- 7 oz hemp seeds
- 4 oz sunflower seeds
- 7 oz slivered almonds
- 12 oz reduced sugar Craisins
- 3 scoops (93 grams) PEScience Select Gourmet Vanilla
- 4 oz corn syrup
- 3 oz local honey
- 6 oz brown sugar
- 2 oz coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Lay the oats out on a baking sheet in a thin layer and bake at 350 until lightly toasted.
- Repeat procedure with the seeds and nuts, stirring every 5 minutes as needed.
- Meanwhile, line a jelly roll baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Allow oats, seeds, and nuts to cool.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a medium pot, bring the syrup, honey, brown sugar, oil, and salt to a boil. Allow to cool slighty.
- Pour the melted mixture over the dry ingredients, stirring continuously until fully combined.
- While it’s still warm, press the mixture into the lined jellyroll pan. For bars, use a smaller pan to produce a thicker bar. Allow the bars to cool and cut into squares with a knife. For granola crumbles, press the mixture into a larger sheet to produce a thinner bar. Onve the thin layer cools and sets, break the granola into small pieces.