Breakfast at our house is quick, quick, quick! Wake up, get dressed, brush teeth and fill your belly all before school. I’m always on the lookout for a quick and healthy grab and go option for my son. He loves pancakes and sausage, so I thought these would be perfect. I got the idea from the freezer aisle. I had a box of frozen pancake and sausage “corndogs” in my hands, and thought, I can make a much healthier version of these! They turned out great! The cottage cheese makes them moist- if you want them a little more muffiny, eliminate the applesauce.
I got the Flapjacked mix from Amazon and the Skinny Mix from Home Goods. They carry seasonal flavors, which I use in my coffee and tea. They are great to use for baking too! Play around with flavors- blueberries would be a perfect addition.
Sweet and Savory Protein Pancake and Sausage Muffins
Based on the popular Bisquick Sausage Balls, I created this recipe for a quick and easy breakfast food for my son before school. I was at the grocery store about to bring home frozen pancake sausages on a stick and thought, “I can do this healthier!”
Author: Whitney Preslar
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups Flapjacked Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix
- 6.5 oz Neese’s Sausage, extra sage, cooked
- 2 cups Non Fat Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup 2% Fairlife Milk Superkids
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tbsp Jordan’s Skinny Mixes, Sugar Free Maple Bourbon Pecan
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 tsp butter flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown and crumble the sausage, drain on paper towels and let cool
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl, add ¼ water if the mix seems too stiff. Add the sausage.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide the mixture evenly in a lightly greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
You can easily adjust flavors and fat content with this recipe. I used regular pork sausage, but you can substitute turkey or chicken sausage. I also this this recipe would be great with wild blueberries or green apples!
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 140 Fat: 6.2 Saturated fat: 2.1 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 9 Sugar: 3.8 Sodium: 309 Fiber: 1.5 Protein: 12.6 Cholesterol: 16.1